Listen below or click here for full show notes
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
- YouTube: That time Quark was on Regis and Kathy Lee
- The Hollywood Reporter: ‘Star Trek’: Leonard Nimoy Was Promised Spock Could Have an Operation | Hollywood Reporter
- Science Fiction.com: ‘The Orville’ Is Boldly Going Where “Star Trek” Has Gone Before By Adding Another Veteran Writer!
- High River Online: Vulcan Welcomes New Tourism Guru – HighRiverOnline.com
- Royal Albert Hall.com:
- Competition: the Royal Albert Hall box office are ready to take your klingon calls | Royal Albert Hall — Royal Albert Hall
- IGN: Exclusive First Look: The Autobiography of Mr. Spock Cover – Star Trek
- Comic Book.com: Star Trek TNG Enterprise Bluetooth Speaker is Also a White Noise Sleep Machine
- Beatrice Daily Sun: Sci-fi writer talks ‘Star Trek’ in Beatrice | Local News | beatricedailysun.com
Joe provided today’s topic, which looks at how some people define what “Star Trek” is:
Is it right to criticize a new iteration of “Star Trek,” the Kelvin timeline movies, for instance, simply because it may not take modern problems and discussing them wrapped in sci-fi metaphors?
After all, while it’s true that Star Trek has done things like that fairly often, it’s not as if that is all the show did. For years the most popular episode of TOS was “The Trouble with Tribbles,” which is just an out-and-out comedy. Or take “The Wrath of Khan,” which is basically a revenge thriller without some deeper metaphorical meaning.
Is it right that some people look at Trek and pigeonhole it in this way? Saying “This is what Star Trek is”?
Warp Speed Roundtable
Which one of these three “Star Trek: The Animated Series” characters would you most like to see brought to life? And why?
- Lt. Arex, the Edosian navigator
- Lt. M’Ress, the Caitian communications officer
- The Glommer, the genetically-engineered Tribble eater
End of Show
If you liked the show, please be sure to tell a friend about it. And subscribe, so you’ll never miss an episode.
We’d love to hear from you. Follow us on Twitter (@thetopicistrek), visit our Facebook page or visit thetopicistrek.com
- Find Joe at MegaPodcastic!
- Find Clinton at Comedy4Cast
- Find Chuck and Kreg at Technorama Podcast
Until next time, on behalf of Chuck, Kreg, Joe and myself, I’m Clinton, thanking you for listening. And, as we always say here on “The Topic Is Trek”
Don’t put on the red shirt!