Listen below or click here for full show notes
Before we get into Subspace Chatter, we want to cover a story that broke right after we recorded our last episode.
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts were let go from the series
- The duo had, as we know, stepped in when co-creator Bryan Fuller departed the show prior to the first season to focus on American Gods.
- The dismissal came during a pre-planning hiatus after production of the first batch of episodes for season two
- According to the Hollywood Reporter news site, Berg and Harberts exit was based on leadership and operational issues and not creative issues.
- The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the ouster was due to reports of a hostile writer’s room with multiple writers on the series reportedly feeling uncomfortable from “abusive” behavior. In addition, the budget for the first five episodes reportedly ballooned beyond expectations and will have an effect on the remaining episodes of season two.
- Berg and Harberts responsibilities will now be handled by executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Kurtzman will also run the show’s writer’s room. (We’ll have more on Kurtzman in our Main Mission section)
- The official CBS press release also indicates that we will not see season two until 2019.
- Star Trek: TAS Meets The Transformers in IDW’s Next Crossover
- ‘Star Trek’ Finally Reveals What Happened to Emperor Spock
- Star Trek Books Are Coming (Kind Of)
- Star Trek Merch Update: Kirk Fu Book, Horga’hn Statue, New Busts, Drinkware And More – TrekMovie.com
- Zachary Quinto Talks Progress On ‘Star Trek 4’; Implies Kelvin Crew In Tarantino Trek – TrekMovie.com
- James T. Kirk Bourbon Unveiled As First In New Line Of Star Trek Branded Spirits – TrekMovie.com
- USS Vulcan float docked this year | Vulcan AdvocateAdditional Stories we just couldn’t get to:
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ Jeffrey Tambor, and the Way we Talk About Verbal Abuse
- Berman On Star Trek Director’s School – TrekToday
- First Look at McFarlane’s New Star Trek Action Figures
- What Helped James Frain Play A Vulcan On ‘Star Trek :Discovery’? Being British!
- ‘Bones’ to beam in for Trekonderoga – Sun Community News & Printing
Now it’s time to head out on our Main Mission, where we’ll take a Z minus 10 thousand meter deep dive into one subject — and try to stay on course.
At the top of the show we talked about the dismissal of Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts and the fact that Alex Kurtzman will be taking on those responsibilities.
- Star Trek Kurtzman Inks 5-Year Trek Extension
- The Future of ‘Star Trek’
- Star Trek: new animated series in the works | Den of Geek
Why would you get kicked out of Starfleet Academy?
End Of Show
It’s about time to refill the dilithium chamber and get on out of here.
If you liked the show, please be sure to tell a friend about it. And subscribe, so you’ll never miss an episode.
Until next time, on behalf of Chuck, Kreg and myself, I’m Clinton, thanking you for listening. And, as we always say here on “The Topic Is Trek”
Don’t put on the red shirt!