Listen below or click here for full show notes.
“Subspace Chatter” (NEWS)
- ‘The Orville’: Charlize Theron To Guest Star In Seth MacFarlane Series | Deadline
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Exhibit Reveals Props and Costumes | Comic-Con | Hollywood Reporter
- Adam Savage Turned a Star Wars Vs. Star Trek Debate Into the Most Depressing Moment of Comic-Con 2017
- 10 great sites for a ‘Star Trek’ pilgrimage
- For some reason YouTube is full of remakes of Star Trek credits · Great Job, Internet! · The A.V. Club
- Star Trek Continues: Episode 9 Coming July 30th to the Internet!
- Heroes and Icons | Most Valuable Trekker – Winner Announced!
SOME TIDBITS FROM THE SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON “DISCOVERY PANEL.
CAUTION: THERE WILL BE THINGS YOU MAY CONSIDER TO BE SPOILERS AHEAD.
The Klingons will be speaking in Klingon. In case you’re not up on your alien languages, there will be subtitles.
Michael Burnham (played by Sonequa Martin-Green) has an interesting past. Her parents were killed when she was young and she was raised by her adoptive parents, Sarek and Amanda. So, she is actually an adoptive sister to Spock. The producers assure us we will learn why Spock (or his half brother, Sybok, we assume) never mentioned her.
Alien Science Officer Lt. Saru (played by Doug Jones) will have hooves and walk in a very unique manner.
We already knew that Lt. Paul Stamets (actor Anthony Rapp), will be an openly gay character. But at ComicCon it was revealed that we will see his love interest, portrayed by actor Wilson Cruz.
Jeff Russo will be composing the music for Discovery. Russo may be familiar to you from his work on “Fargo” and “Lucifer,” among others.
The series will be one large story, with very little in the way of “stand alone” episodes. And the producers promise big reveals and surprises along the way.
Link to official Comic-Con panel video (split over 5 parts)
“Main Mission”( MAIN TOPIC)
Does it makes sense that, before they even air, some fans are claiming “The Orville” is more “Star Trek” than “Star Trek: Discovery”?
“Warp Speed Roundtable” (RAPID FIRE)
Planet of the Month
Would you rather vacation on Risa (“TNG” and “ENT”) or the “Shore Leave” planet (“TOS”)?
- Risa | Memory Alpha | FANDOM powered by Wikia
- Shore Leave Planet | Memory Alpha | FANDOM powered by Wikia
If you liked the show, please be sure to tell a friend about it. And subscribed, so you’ll never miss an episode.
We’d love to hear from you. Follow us on Twitter (@TheTopicIsTrek), visit our facebook page, or visit TheTopicIsTrek.com.
Until next time, on behalf of Chuck, Kreg and myself, I’m Clinton, thanking you for listening. And, as we always say here on “The Topic is Trek”:
“Don’t put on the red shirt!”